
Since Tom and I are now empty nester's, we decided to transform our daughter Kasandra's old bedroom into a guest room. It has taken me almost a year to pull together everything to achieve the look and feel that I wanted. It was important to me that we go "green" and try to buy more items that were recycled (used) and not new. My thought was that with our current economy, one needs to spend money wisely and try to keep it in America. Therefore most of the big items have been bought off of craigslist. (http://www.craigslist.com/) The room has slowly evolved into a quiet retreat for visitors and family alike. Many of the items are from my parents or grandparents. The crochet doilies, were handmade by my grandmother Lois Watenpaugh. The Chenille bedspread was my parents bedspread in the 70's. The clothes hanging above the bed were worn by parents when they were little. The eyelet curtain have been stowed away for years in hopes to someday use them. My favorite photo of my grandma Josephine Ramsey sits on top of the desk. All these things help give the room a familiar warm homey feel. The metal bed, Secretary, and armoire from craigslist. Some items of course had to bought new, the mattress and a feather like mattress topper for one. I am still on the hunt for a hobnail milk glass lamp. I have to admit that it takes a little more effort to buy used items since there isn't a showroom to pick from, overall I am very happy with how it has turned out.
Hey Kasandra.... do you want to spend the night?
